Monday, July 23, 2007

Learning by Doing

Upon reading Brown's article, Learning-in Theory and in Practice, I realize that the many points he makes about learning through both books and hands-on are the best tools for any profession, librarians or otherwise.
* While organizations have replaced seasoned employees with those
right out of college, have they

(a) saved lots of money on younger and less expensive employees

OR (b) eliminated the know-how of long-term experience?
Listen to my short podcast to hear what I think about this shift.


2 comments:

slgc said...

Cool - it's nice to see that the podcasts work as URLs (that's probably really basic, but I didn't "get" it until I saw it). And I liked your baseball "stealing" analogy :)

Korrie said...

Ellie-

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding learning hands on. Instruction manuals are worthless if you don't apply the instruction in practice.